Sometimes mistakes are made to happen.
Not only a great validation for looking at ‘the glass half full’ – but to challenge yourself to make the most of certain situations…
Example at hand: when a friend accidentally spills a bit bleach on the left cheek of your favorite deep scarlet red skinnies!
After a few moments of saving face by holding back the tears (note to self: become less attached to wardrobe!) that curious little light bulb went off. The bleach spot actually came out a very complimentary color… a magic bit of research later, it was time to test out a touch of reverse tie dye:
COLLECT THE GOODS:
-big bucket / washing sink
-heavily pigmented colored jeans looking for a new look!
WALK THE WALK:
1. soak jeans in cold water, wring/spin cycle to damp
2. twist & turn the jeans as tight as you can (this is where rubber gloves become essential!)
3. create knotted areas and tie securely with elastic bands (these are the areas that stay colored)
4. create a bucket/tub of bleach water, the suggestion is to dilute say 1/3bleach to 2/3water
5. let soak for 1-6 hours depending on your desired look (note: when dried, the bleach area will lighten even more)
6. …if you’re a risk taker like me, use your discretion but I dripped straight bleach on certain areas to heighten the process!
7. untie & unwind, rinse in water, hang to dry to set in bleach
8. give them a wash through the laundry before wearing for a final set and to remove some of the bleach scent
*note* the bleach can reduce the strength of the denim so I highly suggest making sure the crotch/lower bum area of your jeans is part of the inside of a knot to reduce bleach exposure & eventual holes…!
Keep life playful & remember the fun with #MoreIsMore!
-Sienna Ray xx
This entry is filed under design, DIY, entertainment, FASHION ETC, inside tips, inspiration, styling tips. And tagged with DIY, fun, scoop, trend watch. You can follow any responses to this entry through RSS 2.0. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.